We look forward to greeting you at the XIX International Botanical Congress in 2017.


Visa Information

Chinese Visa

Passports, valid for at least six months from the date of entry into China, and an entry visas are required to enter China. Visas can be obtained from the local Chinese Embassy or the nearest Consulate General. Japanese and Singaporean participants holding a private passport and staying in China for no more than 15 days do not need a visa. Early registration is advised so that adequate time can be allowed for visa application.

To obtain a business visa, participants should provide passport information and a scanned copy of the passport through the online registration. Upon receipt of the passport information and the scanned copy of the passport, the organizers will send a formal invitation letter. The invitation indicates the city where the applicant can apply for a visa, the passport details, the gender of the applicant and accompanying persons, the date of entry and the length of stay. Alternatively, participants can apply for a tourist visa through a travel agent after booking air tickets and making hotel reservations.

How can I get my visa to China?

There are two ways to obtain a Chinese visa:

The first is to register with the congress and pay the registration fee. After your passport information is received, a formal or scanned copy of the invitation will be emailed to you to submit to the embassy or consulate along with your visa application.

The second is to ask a travel agent to arrange for a tourist visa. Those from Japan and Singapore with an ordinary passport do not need an entry visa if staying in China for less than 15 days.

Can I apply for a visa in the country where I am working but not a citizen?

Yes, you can apply for a visa as long as you have a permanent residence permit. Except for the documents required for the visa application, you are also required to provide a photocopy of the permanent residence permit or social security card to support your application.

When can I receive the formal invitation for obtaining the visa from the organizers?

As soon as we receive payment for your registration fee, the invitation will be sent to you. According to delivery conditions, three to four weeks for postal delivery should be anticipated.

What is the length of validity of a Chinese visa?

A Chinese visa is valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. Within 90 days, you can enter China. From the date of entry, you can stay in China for at most 30 days (the duration period is indicated on the visa) if the visa is still valid. If necessary, visas can also be extended for one month at the Foreigners Section of the Beijing Public Security Bureau.

How long is the duration period of a Chinese visa?

Generally, the duration period of a Chinese visa to attend a conference is about 15 days. Delegates who registered for a field trip and/or for a pre- or post- congress tour and need to extend their stay in China must send payment and complete visa information before April 1, 2017 (Beijing time). Alternatively, delegates can also apply for a tourist visa, which is good for 30 days.

When should I submit my application to the embassy/consulate to claim my visa?

Since a visa is valid for 90 days, you may start your application 90 days before your planned departure for China. We suggest that you apply for the entry visa at least one month before your planned arrival.

Can I go to any Chinese consulate general or embassy to apply for a visa?

First, you should make the application in your own country or in the country where you are a permanent resident.

If there is more than one Chinese diplomatic mission in your country, application must be made to the Chinese consulate that holds jurisdiction over your area of residence, otherwise a delay in processing or even denial of your application may result.