We look forward to greeting you at the XIX International Botanical Congress in 2017.
Shenzhen International Award in Plant Sciences
Call for Nominations
The Shenzhen International Award in Plant Sciences was initiated by the Organizing Committee of the XIX International Botanical Congress (the IBC 2017). The Award has been jointly established by the Botanical Society of China, the Botanical Society of Shenzhen, and Shenzhen Techand Ecology and Environment Co., Ltd. The purpose of the Award is to commemorate the IBC 2017, the first International Botanical Congress to be held in China, and is intended to promote the implementation of the Shenzhen Declaration on Plant Sciences. We are determined to move towards the adoption of a common goal, one that will help to create new paths to a green, sustainable future for the Earth. The Award is intended to recognize scientists who have conducted breakthrough research in both basic and applied plant sciences and whose outstanding contributions have impacted our understanding of the plant world. The Award will be given at successive meetings of the International Botanical Congress, starting with the one in Shenzhen; it may be given to one or two plant scientists on the occasion of each Congress. Presented at the closing ceremony of each Congress, the Award will consist of a cup, a prize of RMB 700,000, and travel expenses to the Award ceremony. Financial support for the Award is provided by the Techand Ecology Foundation.
The Award recognizes a specific contribution or series of contributions that demonstrate the significance of the role of the nominees in setting a standard for excellence in one or more of the following areas.
● Research and technology innovation in the plant sciences;
● International cooperation/collaboration;
● Promotion of education/outreach in the plant sciences;
● Professional service to global scientific communities.
The Shenzhen International Award in Plant Sciences encourages the nomination of exceptional scientists who have set the standard of excellence in their field. Anyone who has direct knowledge of another’s contribution to the plant sciences and is able to provide clear evidence on the lasting impact of that individual’s work, may nominate that individual for this award. Nominations may come from the scientific community or from the wider public. Self-nomination, however, is discouraged.
Nomination Submission Procedures
Nominations for the award should be submitted using the online nomination system at the IBC 2017 web site.
Please complete the nomination form and prepare the requested supporting documents including:
● A statement describing the nominee’s accomplishments relative to the selection criteria;
● Four to six (4-6) supporting letters from others who are familiar with the nominee’s work;
● The nominee’s complete curriculum vitae, including a list of publications, patents, honors, professional activities, and other relevant information.
Important information for nominators:
● A nominator may nominate only ONE nominee. The submission of more than one nomination will result in the cancellation of all of them.
● The nominator is responsible for completing the nomination form, providing a description of the nominee, and collecting all the supporting documents.
● Information provided in the nomination must be complete and accurate.
● Once a nomination has been received, revisions will not be permitted under any circumstances.
● All the information provided in the nomination is confidential, and solely for purposes of the award selection.
● Withdrawal of nominations after the submission deadline is not permitted.
● Late nominations will not be accepted.
Deadline for Nominations
Nominations received by 24:00 on Friday, June 30, 2017 Beijing time will be considered for the 2017 Award.
The evaluation of each nominee will be undertaken based on the information provided in the nomination package. The Selection Committee will review all the information in the nomination package to identify the finalists. A list of finalists will be presented to the Award Committee for final approval. As soon as a decision has been reached, the Shenzhen International Award laureate will be notified. The 2017 Shenzhen International Award will be presented on July 29, 2017 at the closing session of the IBC 2017.
Important information for members of the Selection Committee:
● Members of the Selection Committee may not serve as nominators or endorsers for any nomination submitted to the Committee, and they are not eligible personally during their term of service.
● If a member has been nominated and would be willing to accept the award, he or she will automatically be regarded as having resigned from the committee.
● Committee deliberations will not be shared with anyone outside the Committee, and the identity of the laureate will be strictly embargoed until the official announcement has been made.
Shenzhen International Award Committee
Address: Lianhua Zhilu 1004, Futian District, Shenzhen, P.R. China